Since the ancient ages, teaching is considered to be the noblest of all professions. In the Vedic ages, people used to send their children to Gurukuls where the Gurus (teachers) used to impart all essential knowledge and skills to their students. The teachings were rendered without any discrimination and children of common men and the Kings were treated at par while at Gurukul. So was the stature of the Guru that even the king used to offer his Guru to sit on his throne if the Guru ever visited the king’s place.
Even today, Teaching is the most popular career choice among job-seekers in India. However, to become a teacher at the pre-nursery, nursery, primary, secondary and senior secondary levels in schools, the aspirants need to possess the right qualifications. PRT, TGT, and PGT refer to teaching titles of school teachers. PRT (Primary Teacher), TGT (Trained Graduate Teacher), and PGT (Post Graduate teacher) are the designations and not qualifications of teaching posts.
Highlights of PRT, TGT and PGT :
|Teaching Posts||PRT, TGT, PGT|
|PRT Full Form||Primary Teacher|
|TGT Full Form||Trained Graduate Teacher|
|PGT Full Form||Post Graduate Teacher|
|Teaching Class for PRT||Class 1-V|
|Teaching Class for TGT||Class V1-VIII|
|Teaching Class for PGT||Class IX-XII|
The following information will help you understand the overall differences between these designations:
Primary teacher (PRT):
The Full Form of PRT is Primary Teacher. A primary teacher or an Elementary Teacher, teaches students at the Primary level, i.e., classes 1 to 5. To become a Primary Teacher, a candidate must possess a Diploma in Elementary Education (D.El.Ed). This is a 2-year diploma course that can be pursued via full-time classroom training as well as distance learning. This diploma generally comprises four-semesters and prepares a candidate to work as a teacher in primary schools. Many Government and Private Institutions across the country provide a Diploma in Elementary Education. One of the premier institutes for this course is The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS). It offers a two-year Diploma with an innovative and challenging curriculum in Elementary Education Programme. The admission to D.El.Ed is awarded through an entrance examination which requires a candidate to have passed 10+2 or equivalent with at least 50 percent marks in aggregate.
The objective of the program
• To prepare the candidates to be able to understand and address the diversity in their profession. Because they will have to meet the intellectual demands of young pupils hailing from different socio-economic backgrounds with different upbringings, religions, cultures, ethnicities, etc.
• To enable and empower the candidate such that he/she can prepare a quality learning environment in their classroom.
• To familiarize the candidate with the proper and appropriate teaching processes.
• To develop leadership qualities and problem-solving skills among the candidates.
• To train the prospective teachers, so that they may be able to pass on the specific talents and skills required to enhance the knowledge of their students.
• To sensitize the candidates such that they follow an ethical and impartial attitude and contribute towards safeguarding the rights of children.
Click Here for More PRT Vacancies :
- SUPERTET 2021 : UP Aided Junior High School Teacher Recruitment 2021 Notification Out ; Check Here For More Details
- Punjab Teacher Recruitment 2020 For 8393 Pre Primary Vacancies
Trained Graduate Teacher (TGT):
TGT Full form is Trained Graduate Teacher. TGTs are eligible to teach classes up to the 10th standard. To become a Trained Graduate Teacher, one has to pass the B. Ed which is also a two years professional course. The course is offered full-time at many Government, as well as Private Institutes. The candidates can select a specialization as per their interest in the B. Ed program, like Arts, Science and Commerce streams. The admission takes place through an entrance examination. Before applying for the entrance examination, a candidate must have completed their graduation in any of the streams from an Institute or University recognized by the UGC. Some prestigious institutes, however, allow only those candidates to appear in the entrance examination who have secured at least 50-55% marks at the graduate level. For B. Ed admission, the minimum required age is 19 years and there is no upper age limit.
The two years curriculum for the B. Ed course is designed in such a manner that the candidate gets acquainted with all aspects of teaching which he/she will have to face during his/her job as a teacher. A teacher comes across children from diverse economic, socio-cultural and linguistic backgrounds, and possessing different levels of cognitive abilities. Therefore, a B. Ed candidate needs to understand the process of learning, create a conducive environment for learning, and be able to provide sufficient opportunities for their students to observe, experiment, understand, reflect, and question. Keeping in view all these aspects, the Bachelor of Education course curriculum is designed to teach the following topics:
- Childhood and Growing Up
- Modern India and Education
- Disciplines and Subjects Understanding
- Understanding different religions, cultures and ethnicities of society
- Gender, Society, and psychology
- Reading and Reflecting on Texts
- Teaching methods of a School Subject
- Sufficient knowledge and understanding of Information and Communications technology
- Knowledge and Curriculum
- Assessment for Learning
- Creating an Inclusive School
- Health, Yoga and Physical Education
- Many More….
Click Here for More TGT Vacancies :
- DSSSB Teaching Recruitment 2021 : Apply Link for 1145 TGT Teaching Vacancies
- UPSESSB TGT PGT Recruitment 2021: Apply Here For 15198 Teaching Vacancies
Post Graduate Teacher (PGT):
PGT Full Form Is Post Graduate Teacher. The Post Graduate Teacher teaches classes up to 12th standard. The difference between a TGT and PGT is that a TGT does his/her B. Ed after graduation whereas to be a PGT, the candidate must possess a Post Graduate Degree before applying for a B. Ed course. Thus, with the same B. Ed degree, a graduate candidate is termed as TGT and a Post Graduate Candidate is termed as PGT.
To become a PGT, an aspirant must possess any of the following qualifications from any recognized University or Institution before admission to the B. Ed course:
- M. Tech in any stream
- Engineering Degree in any stream + Post Graduate Diploma
- Master of Science
- Master of Arts
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Computer Application
- Any other Master’s degree
Click Here for More PGT Vacancies :
- DSSSB Teaching Recruitment 2021 : Apply Link Active Again For 4068 TGT, PGT Posts
- HSSC Teaching Recruitment 2021 : 534 PGT Sanskrit Vacancies Out ; Check Here For More Details
- SSSB Punjab School Librarian Recruitment: Apply Link Active : Check Complete Detail Here
- Punjab Teacher Recruitment 2021: 2392 Master Cadre Teacher Posts
Once a candidate has completed the prerequisites for becoming a PRT, TGT, and PGT, he/she can apply for a number of teaching eligibility examinations conducted annually. These examinations form the basis of appointment of a candidate as a Primary and Upper Primary level teacher. Few authorized bodies that conduct recruitment examinations for teaching personnel are:
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) : CTET
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS)
- Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS)
- Delhi Subordinate Services Selection Board (DSSSB)