UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2021: National Testing Agency (NTA) had released the UGC NET Dec 2020 Cycle (May 2021) notification for the post of Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) on 2 Feb 2021. NTA has concluded the UGC NET Online application process on 2 March 2021. NTA has determined the eligibility criteria for candidates who appear for the JRF and Assistant Professor Post. UGC NET 2021 Eligibility criteria are different for JRF and Assistant Professor Post. Before applying for UGC NET Exam, it is mandatory to go through the UGC NET Eligibility 2021 in detail to make sure you are not disqualified at further stages.
In order to be eligible to appear for the examination, candidates must meet the required UGC NET eligibility criteria 2021 including the educational qualifications, age limit, reservation criteria, etc provided in this post.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2021
1.Candidates who have appeared for their qualifying master’s degree (Final year) examination and whose result is still awaited can appear in the UGC NET 2021 Examination.
Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/ institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science, etc. are eligible for this Test.
2. For Ph.D. degree holders: The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination have been completed by 19 September 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET
3. For Transgender category: The transgender category would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age, and qualifying criteria for NET (i.e. JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ST/PwD categories. The subject-wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in the corresponding subject.
4.For Reserved Category: The Other Backward Classes(OBC)/ Scheduled Caste(SC)/Scheduled Tribe(ST)/ persons with disability(PwD) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this test.
UGC NET Age Limit 2021
- No maximum age limit is prescribed for Lectureship or Asst. Professorship.
- For Junior Research Fellowship; the maximum age limit will be 30 years as on 01.06.2021
In UGC NET Examination, the age relaxation has been given to various categories which are mentioned below:
|S. No.||Category||Age Limit Relaxation
|1||Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe||5 years
|2||Other Backward Classes (OBC)|
|4||Persons with disabilities (PwD)|
|6||Candidates having research experience||A period spent on research – Maximum 5 years|
|7||Candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree||3 years|
|8||Candidates who have served in the armed forces||5 years|
UGC NET Exemptions For Assistant Professor
1.NET/SET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions. In this regard, exemption from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
2.The candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR/ JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET
3. For SET Candidates: The candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, and are eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India.
4.Those who have cleared State(s) Eligibility Test from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/colleges situated in the State from where they have cleared their SET.
5. PhD degrees holder in accordance with GC Regulations, 2009 are exempted from the requirement of meeting the minimum eligibility criteria for UGC NET.
UGC NET 2021 Exam Reservation
The reservation policy of the Government of India is applicable to UGC-NET. According to this, in the Central Universities and Institutions which are deemed to be Universities, the reservation of seats shall be as follows:
(i) 15% of the seats for Scheduled Castes (SC) candidates
(ii) 7.5% of the seats for Scheduled Tribes (ST) candidates
(iii) 27% of the seats for Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non-Creamy Layer (NCL) candidates as per the Central List*
(iv) 10% of the seats for General – Economically Weaker Sections (General – EWS) candidates
(v) 04% of the seats in the mentioned categories for Persons with Disability (PwD) with 40% or more disability.
(vi) # Reservation for Kashmiri Migrant (subject to notification from Ministry of Education for Academic Session 2021-22).
You can also read :