In many teaching exams including CTET 2020, MPTET 2020 STET 2020 etc. English may be an interesting subject having and 30 questions of English content and 30 questions of English Pedagogy in CTET and other State TET Exams. In which English Pedagogy is one of the interesting and scoring topics under the English Language sections of teaching exams.
In this articles, we are providing you few topics of English pedagogy.
METHODS OF TEACHING GRAMMAR
There are few methods of teaching of grammar:
1. Deductive Method
2. Inductive method
3. Inductive Deductive Method
4. Incidental Method
1. Deductive Method:
• This method is also called the traditional method.
• In this method, grammar is taken as an independent subject and taught with the help of a grammar book.
• The teacher uses a grammar text book. He first tells his students rules or definitions and then explains those with the help of examples then he gives exercise and ask his pupils to apply the rules.
• The learners are supposed to memories the definition of noun.
• This method is not very effective as it is against the principles of teaching and students find it boring and dull.
A. Advantages of Deductive Method
1. Average teacher can use this method in country like India.
2. It is based on the theory “From generalization to example”.
3. This method helps students to compare the ideas in grammar of mother tongue and second or first language.
4. The learner can try the grammatical questions very easily.
5. Learner can respond effectively and can explain rules, structures, etc.
B. Disadvantage of Deductive Method
1. This method makes learner learning about language.
2. This method cannot develop communicative ability among learners
3. The learners become inactive during classroom teaching
4. This method is not child centered but teacher centered.
5. In the classroom teaching there is hardly use of audio visual aids.
2. Inductive Method:
• Inductive method is also known as informal method.
• In Inductive method the teacher first presents or takes the example from the students then comes on theory of concept.
• This method implies teaching of grammar not by rules but by usage. Through continuous practice of using words while speaking, reading and writing, grammar can be taught and therefore learnt by students.
• This is done while teaching of text book or detailed translation of the text book is carried on Grammatical implications are taught simultaneously.
• Through this method, practical uses of grammatical rules are elicited. But sometimes this method becomes time consuming and may divert the attention of the students.
A. Advantage of Inductive Method
1. Inductive method is based on the theory “From example to generalization”. So it is very useful in classroom teaching.
2. This method helps students to understand the difference between particular notion in grammar of L1 and L2 / FL.
3. This method is child centered.
3. The learners learn the particular grammar point through use. First they have to deduce the meaning and later they generalize the form or structure.
B. Disadvantage of Inductive Method
1. This method is not useful in over crowed classes like India.
2. The institute must be ready to focus the language aspect, not the mark criteria. In this method the teacher has to use modern method of teaching language. Only an innovative teacher can use this method.
3. Inductive-Deductive Method:
Through this method student they formulate rules with the help of examples. Some steps of this method are as follows.
• Students are given some examples of similar type.
• Students try to find out similarities by analyzing or observing these examples.
• Students are asked to draw some conclusions.
• Then the teacher will give the rules and give new examples and ask her pupils to verify the rules.
This method of teaching grammar proves very successful and advantageous as it becomes practical, real and scientific. It follows all the maxims of teaching and pupils are not forced to cram the rules. This method also stimulates the power of thinking and reasoning.
Some shortcomings of this method are that it can be applied only to young learners. Moreover, this method is not complete in itself because sometimes students are unable to correlate examples with the topic.
4. Incidental Method:
This method is also known as correlation or reference method of teaching. This method helps students to correlate grammar with other related logical structures. Students gain a practical knowledge of grammatical rules.
Some disadvantages of this method are that it interferes with normal teaching Productive learning is less and sometimes creating or forming an incident related to a topic may be difficult for the teacher.
Importance of grammar in development of communication skill:
• Grammar helps in learning correct pronunciation.
• With good grammar spoken or written words gain their meaning and value.
• Knowledge of grammar improves skill of expression.
• Grammar is also helpful in increasing accuracy. Grammar frames the mind to habits of order and clearness and also to logic and rhetoric. So, grammar rules can help learners develop a habit of thinking logically and clearly.
• Grammar also helps in acquiring fluency in a particular language. The person will also learn how to organize and express the ideas in his mind without difficulty.
Importance of grammar in development of writing skill:
• The learner learns to write with correct punctuation and correct language and spellings.
• With the knowledge of grammar, parts of speech etc. the child develops an effective writing style.
• Expression of feelings, emotions, frustrations in an impressive manner is possible only by knowledge of grammatical rules, syntax, vocabulary etc.