Dear Readers, we are providing to you Word List from The Newspaper to improve your word power. It will help you to enhance your word power as well as you can understand the correct usage of the word. Your reading habit can make all the difference. If you are not able to read a newspaper for Teaching Exam. We will post important words every day from the editorial section.
- Meaning: cause continual trouble or distress to.
- Synonyms: afflict, bedevil, cause suffering to, torture, torment, trouble, beset, curse.
- Example: Institutional inefficiencies and vested interests continue to plague the education sector.
- Meaning: waste (something, especially money or time) in a reckless and foolish manner
- Synonyms: waste, misspend, misuse, throw away, dissipate, fritter away, run through, lose, lavish, spend recklessly, spend unwisely, make poor use of, be prodigal with, spend money like water.
- Example: We have not only squandered money, a World Bank loan, but have also lost time.
- Meaning: fall or drop straight down at high speed.
- Synonyms: plunge, fall headlong, hurtle, nosedive, dive, drop, crash, descend rapidly
- Example: The situation has plummeted with the involvement of huge funds and poor accountability mechanisms.
- Meaning: (of a natural event) large-scale and violent.
- Synonyms: disastrous, catastrophic, calamitous, tragic, devastating, ruinous, terrible, violent, awful
- Example: A SMALL event is sometimes more revealing than a cataclysmic one that grabs headlines.
- Meaning: sternness or severity of manner or attitude., difficult economic conditions created by government measures to reduce public expenditure.
- Example: We are delighted that an alternative to austerity and nearly 40 years of free-market fundamentalism has secured 40% of the vote.
- Meaning: diverse in character or content.
- Synonyms: diverse, diversified, varied, varying, miscellaneous, assorted, mixed, sundry, contrasting, disparate, different, differing, divergent, unrelated, variegated, wide-ranging.
- Example: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) opposition has pandered to the Hindutva agenda to unite one of the most socially heterogeneous States in India while making the Lingayats, a dominant and numerous community, its social anchor. B.S. Yeddyurappa, the leader of this formation, a Lingayat himself, has tried to highlight the grievances of the upper strata of peasantry to reinforce his base of support.
- Meaning: having an obstinately uncooperative attitude towards authority or discipline.
- Example: The recalcitrant judge It is doubtful if sending Justice Karnan to jail is the most judicious way of restraining him.
- Meaning: the revival of European art and literature under the influence of classical models in the 14th–16th centuries.a revival of or renewed interest in something.
- Example: The fine balance struck by India and the U.S. culminated in the Agenda 21, raising hopes
- for a renaissance in the areas of both environment and development.
- Meaning: the action of reducing the severity, seriousness, or painfulness of something.
- Synonyms: alleviation, reduction, diminution, lessening, easing, weakening, lightening.
- Example: The Accord deals with the global commitments of countries regarding emissions, mitigation, adaptation and financing from 2020. The allegation that China, Russia and India are only contributing to pollution and not to climate change fund has no basis whatsoever.
- Meaning: corresponding in size or degree; in proportion.
- Synonyms: equivalent, equal, corresponding, correspondent, comparable, proportionate.
- Example: The advantage that the U.S. and other developed countries have gained from the Paris Accord is that all economies, including China and India, are being made to take action on climate change without any commensurate guarantees from the former on funding and transfer of technology.