FACTS ABOUT PINK MOON
The Pink Moon, or the full moon of April, which occurred on Tuesday, April 7th, 2020, was the biggest supermoon of the year. It is called a supermoon, since this full moon appears slightly larger than average to the human eye. The distance between earth and the full moon is smaller, it makes the supermoon appear around 7 percent larger and 15 percent brighter as compared to the average full moon.
What is Supermoon or Pink Moon?
According to NASA, a supermoon takes place when a full moon is at its closest to the Earth. The moon revolves around our planet in an elliptical orbit i.e. as an oval and it has a farthest and closest point from the earth as it goes around.The Moon will be full for the three consecutive days, from Monday, April 6 night till Thursday, April 9 morning.
Cool Facts about Pink Moon:
Here are a few cool facts about the Pink Moon:
- When a full moon coincides with perigee (the point in the orbit of the moon at which it is nearest to the earth), it is sometimes called a Supermoon.
- Despite the name given to it, the Pink Moon is not actually pink in colour.
- The first supermoon of this year was on 9 March and the last one will take place on 7 May.
- The name has its roots deep in the legends of the North America aboriginal people, who called rhea full moon in April a pink moon after a particular wildflower that blooms during this time, signifying the arrival of spring. The wildflower, native to eastern North America is the Phlox Subulata, also commonly known as Creeping Phlox or Moss Phlox, or Moss Pink, which gives it the name.
- The moon is named after a pink flower ‘Wild Ground Phlox’, which blossoms at this time.
- People of different cultures have given different names to the full moon in April. While some refer to it as the Fish Moon, others call it the Sprouting Grass Moon and Egg Moon.
- This Pink Moon also coincides with the first lunar eclipse of the year. This eclipse will be visible to people in eastern Europe, Africa, central Asia as well as western Australia.
- The Pink Moon also affects the human mind and focus.
- The Pink Moon signifies new beginnings, in addition to marking the time to improve our personal and professional lives.
- The Pink Moon or the supermoon in April was only 35,035 kilometres from the earthand in actual average distance between the earth and the moon is 3,84,400 kilometres.