Directions (Q. 1-5): Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error or idiomatic error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence.If there is no error, the answer is (5).
1. Sugar-sweetened drinks does not 1)/ pose any particular health risk, and /2) are not a unique risk factor /3) for obesity or heart disease. 4)/ No error 5)
(1) Use ‘do not’ in place of ‘does not’
2. 12 Airline managements should note 1)/ that the ultimate passenger-un friendliness 2)/ is to have their planes crash 3)/ due to the adopted of unsafe procedures. 4)/ No error 5)
(4) Use ‘adoption’ in place of ‘adopted’
3. Celebrating its ten long years 1)/ in the industry, a private entertainment channel 2)/ announce a series of 3)/ programmes at a press conference. 4)/ No error 5)
(3) ‘announced’ in place of ‘announce’
4. The award ceremony ended 1)/ on a note of good cheer 2)/ with audiences responding warmly 3)/ to its line-up of films. 4)/ No error 5)
5. The actress was ordered for 1)/ wear an alcohol- monitoring bracelet and 2)/ submit to random weekly drug testing after 3)/ she failed to appear for a court date last week. 4)/ No error 5)
(1) ‘to’ in place of ‘for’
Directions (Q. 6-10): Each question below has two blanks each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank which best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
6. Adding to a growing body of research ________ cutting back on sweetened beverages it is now found that drinking_______ sugary drinks may help lower blood pressure.
1) for, all
2) sustaining, increased
3) against, lesser
4) behind, more
5) supporting, fewer
7. The blame game for the air tragedy is already in full ____ with the authorities involved making attempts to______ for themselves.
1) sway, defend
2) view, try
3) fledged, protect
4) swing, cover
5) roll, hide
8. The actress, wearing a dark grey suit and open-necked shirt, sat ________the proceedings looking nervous throughout, occasionally frowning as’ her lawyer ____ with the judge.
1) through, argued
2) on, spoke,
3) for, addressed
4) with, discussed
5) along, lectured
9. It was an excellent social evening with people from all ____ of life getting a chance to let___their hair.
1) areas, drop
2) realms, flow
3) arena, undone
4) walks, down
5) types, loose
10. There can be no denying the fact that in sports, star coaches have_____ the to get something extra out of their_____.
1) apprehension, work
2) ability, teams
3) fear, member
4) capability, house
5) desirous, players